The word “Bristol” is once again being spelt out in morse code from Bristol’s Cabot Tower, marking the full refurbishment of the historic monument
The old Morse code transmitter was switched off in 2001 after developing a fault and removed when Cabot Tower was closed to the public following the discovery of cracks in the structure six years later.
The tower on Brandon Hill was reopened in 2011 and the transmitter was reinstated in February, 2014.
A £420,000 refurbishment programme was undertaken to repair the cracks in the tower, built in 1897 to mark Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee year and the 400th anniversary of John Cabot’s voyage of discovery to Newfoundland from Bristol in 1497.
On Signal Hill in Newfoundland overlooking St Johns is another Cabot Tower also built to commemorate Cabot’s achievement and to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
Cabot Tower - http://www.bristol-link.co.uk/history/cabot-tower.htm