The Philippines Amateur Radio Association (PARA) has announced new frequencies for Philippine radio hams.
After countless meetings of the Amateur Radio Consultative Panel (ARCP) and the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC), the following changes came into effect on August 30, 2012:
- Recognition of only one national amateur radio organization: Philippine Amateur Radio Association.
- Person who passes the exam but does not own a radio will be given an operator certificate with his own call sign.
- New license class: Foundation License class (must pass element II, VHF only privilege).
- Vanity call sign.
- NTC to maintain a database of licensees and made available to the public domain.
- Additional frequencies: 135.7 kHz to 137.8 kHz; 472 kHz to 479 kHz; 7.201 MHz to 7.300 MHz
- Class B and C allowed to operate mobile HF.
- Minimum age for Class D is 9 years old.
- Convergence with internet now explicitly allowed (echo link, voip, etc).
- Question pool committee, oversight committee officially organized.